The Cannes Film Festival is one most significant dates in the international film calendar, bringing together the elite of the film world for the 12-day event. Celebrating its 70th anniversary this year – proceedings kick off with the opening ceremony and the famous red-carpet steps of the Grand Théâtre Lumière.
Directors such as Todd Haynes, Sofia Coppola and Michael Haneke and Actors such as Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, Tilda Swinton and Emma Thompson are just a few big names said to be walking the red carpet over the coming days.
- Italian actress, Monica Bellucci, is the host of this year’s opening and closing ceremonies.
- President of the Jury for the festival, director Pedro Almodovar, will be joined by Jessica Chastain, Paolo Sorrentino Will Smith to name but a few celebrities.
- There are 12 female-directed films this year, one of which is Sofia Coppola’s The Beguiled, starring Nicole Kidman, Colin Farrell and Kirsten Dunst in the remake of Don Siegel’s 1971 film. Kristen Stewart, Robin Wright and Vanessa Redgrave have also stepped behind the camera and turned their hands to directing.
- The schedule will allow for two Netflix-produced films in the 70th annual festival: Boong Joon-Ho’s Okjaand Noah Baumbach’s The Meyerowitz Stories.
- There are 19 films in contention for the coveted Palme d’Or. Anticipation is high for Good Time, a bank-robber drama starring Jennifer Jason Leigh and Robert Pattinson, another favourite is Wonderstruck by Todd Haynes, director of Carol.
- The opening party from early evening until late at night, is taking place at the Plage du Majestic as well as the Agora with live music by the Fantasy Live Experience Orchestra and DJ Daddy Ryton.
- There are three dinners organised for professionals held in honour of different components of the international film community:
- 19th May: In the Grand Salon of the Carlton Hotel, a dinner for industry professionals, a tribute will be paid to the American Producer Jeffrey Katzenberg.
- 20th May: At the Agora, a ‘dinner of the festivals’ for 150 directors.
- 25th May: The press dinner at the Grand Salon at the Carlton Hotel, with 250 international critics.
Expect glitz, expect glamour, expect fashion, expect film. Expect the unexpected.